Wednesday, May 6, 2015

I am grateful for the warmth and kindness

Greetings!

Our daughter-in-law's grandmother, Joan, moved into a new nursing home a short while ago.  Last Sunday, I asked my daughter-in-law to bring us to see her.

Joan is ninety years old.  She is very sweet and considerate.  We are always happy to see her.  She now lives in a nursing home with gorgeous scenery of nature.  On Sunday, three of her great-grandchildren (or our grandchildren) had lots of fun picking yellow Dandelions in a big field of grass.

I met Joan for the first time about eight years ago.  Joan hosted a bridal shower for her granddaughter who would soon be our daughter-in-law.  There were many people at the party.  I was somewhat nervous because I did not know anyone except a young woman* who was married the month before.  (*Re my posts The Hot Coffee Incident and The Healing in the Washroom.)  Firmly and warmly, Joan held my hand and introduced me to everyone in her family.  She asked me to sit next to her, and talked to me as if we already knew each other.  Her gentle, loving presence really eased my discomfort of sitting among strangers.

Joan lived in her own house until her early 80 s, and her loved ones visited her almost daily.  With old age, it was easy to lose our balance and fall down.  After falling down a couple of times, she moved into a senior housing complex where an assistant stayed in her room to take care of her throughout the day.  She had moved a couple of times.  She took life in stride, and was always nice to those who took care of her.

Joan says she is content with where she is.  She enjoys the beauty and peace of nature surrounding the nursing home.

On the journey of life, I am grateful for the wonderful people such as Joan who have extended to me their warmth and kindness.

In gratitude, I have lived through many stages of my life.  When I was small, I looked up at my mother wondering when I would be as tall as she was.  I wanted to grow up fast and love her back as how she had tenderly loved me.  Years later, I was myself a mother blessed with two sons.  I was the youngest of three.  My siblings and I were very close in age.  My older son was my mother's first grandchild.  My siblings told me that our mother could not stop smiling whenever she looked at the pictures of my sons.  Time flies.  Now, I am a grandmother of three wonderful kids.

Gratitude helps me to see the beauty of life and the good of those around me. Gratitude opens my heart to feel, connect, receive love and embrace others with love.

I am grateful to connect with you through this blog.  We may never meet in life, but spiritually speaking, we are no strangers to one another.  

Many blessings,
Q of D


No comments:

Post a Comment