Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Racism and Discrimination - Story 2

Greetings!

What is your reaction to the recent Terrorists Shooting in France?  Do you feel you have changed in some ways because of what happened?

If we pay attention to our thoughts, we will realize we easily react and form an opinion to the circumstances that happen around us.  With dramatic events such as the recent Charlie Hebdo Shooting in Paris and the 2001 9/11 Terrorist Attacks in USA, some of us may react strongly to what happen.  Consciously or inadvertently, we may form a view that may affect how we conduct ourselves from then on.

                                             ~    ~    ~    ~    ~    ~    ~

On Sep. 11, 2001, I did not learn of the horrific terrorist attacks until later in the morning.  That morning, after my husband went downstairs to the family room, I stayed in our bedroom.  Somehow, I decided to sit on bed and pray.  I prayed for quite a while.  Then I took a shower.  When I came downstairs, I was shocked at what I saw on the television.  My husband who spoke very little English did not know something huge had happened.  I almost wanted to stay home to continue watching the news, but we had to take care of the restaurant.  For weeks, I followed the news at night after we came home from work.  Many times tears filled my eyes as I listened to people talking about their loved ones who died in the senseless killing.  At night, I prayed with all my heart especially for the families that lost their loved ones.

After the 9/11 Terrorist Attacks, many charity organizations including firefighters set up donation collection booths or buckets in front of big stores to collect money for the victims.  Below was a letter I wrote to a firefighter.  As you read the letter, you would know what happened.

Dear Mr. Firefighter,

I got out of my car.  I saw you stood in front of (name of the store) holding a boot* to collect donations.  (*At that time, a firefighter boot was symbolic to those heroic firefighters and policemen who risked their lives to save others during the terrorist attacks.)

There were not many shoppers this afternoon.  A woman, white, walked to you.  You greeted her as she put money into the boot.  You saw me walking towards you with money in my hand.  When I was just a few steps from you, you suddenly turned to face the other side.  With your back facing me, you stood very still.  I walked forward. I stood right behind you waiting for you to turn around.  You stood that way for quite a while.  When you finally turned around, I could see the surprise in your eyes.  You probably thought that I should have been gone by then.  I put the money in.  Sorry, I could not put more money in.  I looked at you.  I said, "Thank you for what you do." For a brief while, you did not know what to do.  Then you said faintly, "Thank you."

Mr. Firefighter, I may look different to you because I am a Chinese woman.  However, please understand that those of us who may look different from you have a heart just like you.  We care and love our fellow human beings too.

Mr. Firefighter, your job is very important.  I meant it when I said, "Thank you for what you do."  May God bless you and protect you.

                                             ~    ~    ~    ~    ~    ~    ~

The incident happened not long after the 2001 9/11 Terrorist Attacks.  I wrote the letter simply to express how I felt.  Of course, I never sent it out for I knew neither the name of the firefighter nor where he worked.  It was obvious I found what happened somewhat troubling.  Most of us reacted to situations from where we were at.  At that time, I released my reactive emotion by writing a letter.  In a way, I hoped the words I wrote were received.  If similar situation happened today, I probably would not pick up a pen and write.

Life is a journey.  Over the years, I learn to pay attention to my thoughts and views. Sometimes I form an incorrect assumption too, but I always know it is never too late to adjust or correct my view.

Peace,
Q of D


No comments:

Post a Comment