Sunday, February 22, 2015

She looked like a movie star

Greetings!

The other night, a black woman whom I met while I was living in another state suddenly came to my mind.   She was a cashier in a store that we visited regularly.   She was very friendly, and greeted all the customers with a bright smile.  She waved at us and said 'hi' even if we lined up at other lanes.  Of course, all of us, the customers and her coworkers, liked her in return.

She looked like a movie star.  If they stood together, people might think they were identical twins.  She even had a voice similar to the celebrity.   I was amazed at their likeness, but I did not say anything about it.

One day, a customer (a man) said to her that she looked very much like the movie star.  Immediately, I saw the light in her eyes dimmed because I was standing behind the man.  She lowered her head.  In a low voice, she said, "I heard that a lot, but she (the movie star) is rich and famous."  My heart was filled with compassion.   The male customer did not know what to say.  He paid and left.  When it was time for me to pay for the grocery, I told her truthfully how much we appreciated her friendliness and her wonderful smile.

It has been three years since we moved back here.  I wonder how she is doing.  I pray that she is doing well.  I pray that she has come to understand that she is not any less than the celebrity is; she is wonderful and beautiful in her own way.

Peace,
Q of D

No comments:

Post a Comment