Sunday, February 26, 2017

I was grateful for the opportunity to speak at church

Greetings!

In Our Voices Matter, I blurted out to my friend that I would like an opportunity to speak at church.  On that Sunday, I had not planned to say that at all.  Those words simply came out of my mouth when my friend tried to convince me to hold another healing workshop.

My friend said she would relate it to the pastors.  (My friend was on the board of directors, but she was not a pastor.)  She said she knew I did not have any public speaking experience, however, it was required that all Sunday speakers must be experienced public speakers.  The board of pastors met once a month.  My friend said it might take some time for the pastors to decide on my request.  She suggested for me to hold a healing workshop in the next two or three months.  She would videotape the workshop.  Then I would have a DVD to present to the pastors that I could speak in public.  I told my friend it would be all right if the pastors concluded I was not qualified.  All Is Well in the Divine Plan.  I felt at ease after I finally voiced what I truly wanted to do, i.e. to connect with my brothers and sisters through sharing my experiences.

It turned out I did not need any DVD.  Two weeks later, the board of pastors kindly accepted my request.  When I heard the news, I felt somewhat anxious because I knew I needed more time than others to get ready for the talk.  When I talked to the pastor that was responsible for scheduling Sunday speakers, I was relieved to know that the schedule was filled many months ahead.  The earliest date that was open was next January.

Though it seemed I had plenty of time to get ready, I could only get into the mood of preparing for my talk until the time was near.  After I spoke at church, I was relieved my self-set assignment was finished.  I did not anticipate the church to ask me to speak again.  Some months later, I was surprised that the pastor asked me to pick another date.

After my first talk, someone said I must have gotten some sort of satisfaction from the response of the congregation.  The truth was I never looked at it that way.  With no public speaking experience on record, I was grateful that the board of pastors allowed me to speak at church.  Most of all, I was grateful for the opportunity to connect with my brothers and sisters on a heart to heart level.

My friend that related my request to the church had worked with me side by side during the healing workshops.  I am forever grateful for her love and support.  Dear Sister, thank you.

As I wrote that my speaking at church was a self-set assignment, I realized an assignment given by my 4th grade teacher must have been part of the Divine Plan.

In my next post, I will share with you the story.

Love,
Q of D
     

No comments:

Post a Comment