Wednesday, May 30, 2018

A Marriage Proposal in a Fortune Cookie

Greetings!

On the television, a man was telling a personal story in front of an audience.  I saw a sign 'people's true stories' on the side of the stage where the man stood.  I happened to turn on the TV at that moment.  After he finished his story, I turned off the TV.  I was not sure if he was indeed sharing a true personal story as it had happened.

The man said he invited his own mother, his girlfriend and her parents to dine in a restaurant.  That night he planned to ask his girlfriend to marry him.  He put his marriage proposal on a small piece of paper as an insert in a fortune cookie.  Then he thought what if his girlfriend was not the one to pick that particular cookie.  In order to make sure that his plan would succeed, he placed inserts with the same words in four fortune cookies.

When they finished eating, the server brought out those special fortune cookies as arranged.  However, his girlfriend and his mother were fully engaged in a conversationTo his distress, he saw his girlfriend's mother took a cookie from the tray.  The woman read the insert.  Immediately, she looked at the man and signaled with her mouth "I don't think it is for me!"  He embarrassingly signaled with his hand that the insert was indeed not for her.  The girlfriend's father was the next one to get a cookie.  Surprise and confusion came on the older man's face.  The man hurriedly signaled that the message was not for him.  Anxiously, the three of them waited for the young woman to get a cookie.  Finally, his girlfriend and his mother finished talking.  Their eyes opened wide when they saw the man's mother reached out for a cookie!  Her mouth opened wide as she read the insert.  Sensing something was going on, his girlfriend took the last cookie.  In great surprise and joy, she said "yes".  The man said they had now been happily married for twenty years.

The man gave a lively description of the expressions on each person's face upon seeing the insert.  I had a good laugh listening to his story.

                                            ~       ~       ~       ~       ~       ~

The man's story reminded me of an incident that happened in the restaurant years.  One day, a woman walked in.  She ordered from us regularly.  She did not come in to order food that day.  She said she needed my help.  Her son wanted to ask his girlfriend to marry him.  He wanted to put his proposal with a ring inside a fortune cookie to surprise his girlfriend.  The mother (the customer) had bought a bag of fortune cookies from an Oriental grocery store.  They all cracked when she tried to slip in the paper with the ring.  She said those cookies were not of the same quality as that of our restaurant.  I went inside the kitchen.  Searching through two big bags of cookies, I found some that might work (i.e. those with a wider opening).  It took some cookies, patience and time before the task was accomplished. 

                                            ~       ~       ~       ~       ~       ~

I recorded the man's story in my blog as a draft after I finished watching it on TV.  I thought it was good to share stories that made us laugh.

Then I thought it might be I did not have the right to share the man's story in my blog, or the story might not be totally true.  I told the story to my husband.  He looked at me with that 'what's so funny about it' look.  I realized it was a mistake to talk to him.  He never read jokes on the newspapers, and did not (or rarely) see anything as funny.  I told the story to my son.  He listened without any reaction, and returned to look at his phone.  I decided not to publish it.

The draft was written quite a while back.  I smiled reading the draft today.  If it did happen, each one of them must have quite a memorable experience that night.

Live, love, laugh!  I may be the weird one in my loved one's eyes.  I am glad I can laugh.

Love,
Q of D


No comments:

Post a Comment