Saturday, August 1, 2026

Quan Yin, the Bodhisattva of Great Compassion

Greetings!

Today is August 1.  In lunar calendar, it is June 19 - the day commemorating the Enlightenment of Quan Yin, the Bodhisattva of Great Compassion.  I learn online she is widely known as Goddess of Mercy in South Asia.  In the western culture, some channels call her Lady Quan Yin while delivering messages from her.

                                            ~       ~       ~       ~       ~       ~

As I had mentioned, my family did not talk to us about religion while we were growing up.  When I was young, my sixth uncle gifted my mother a painted ceramic buddha statue that was said to have been blessed.  I found the buddha statue fascinating.  I began to draw pictures of buddha.  I showed them to my mother.  My mother always took the time to really look at them, and said some words of encouragement.  Later, I began to have dreams of three beings floated in; they sat by a small table and chatted joyfully.  The whole place was filled with light.  My dreams of the three beings stopped after someone in the family accidentally broke the statue.  (Re A Display Stand in a Store with Buddhist Books in Chinese )

In the Asian culture, most of us had heard about buddhas and bodhisattvas; we knew Quan Yin was the Great Compassion Bodhisattva.  In July 1984, my sister called saying that our mother had been rushed to the hospital.  I immediately thought of Quan Yin and prayed for her to be with my mother.  My mother died days later.  At the time, I was not into Buddhism.  It was only years later in a phone conversation with my sister that I learned the day our mother moved on was Quan Yin's Enlightenment Day in lunar calendar; others had tried to comfort my sister telling her not to be too sad because it was a blessed day. 

My grandfather (maternal) had named both of his daughters (i.e. my mother and her older sister) with names of flowers.  My aunt's name was common, and the flower was orchid.  My mother's name was a word that many Chinese might not know.  My name had something to do with flower too.  I had always thought it meant a certain kind of flower that I had not seen.  In 2008 to 2011, I read many Buddhist books in Chinese.  (Re post mentioned above)  While reading a book, I was surprised to learn that my mother's name and mine together was an old term/name for lotus.
                                           
In 2009, I went to a small spiritual gathering.   The facilitator automatically assumed I was a Christian.  Later, the group went into meditation.  When it was over, the facilitator asked, "You are a Christian, aren't you?"  She proceeded to say, "But, you are a Buddhist!  I saw Quan Yin descends and stands next to you!"  I said I loved Quan Yin and Buddha the same as I loved Jesus Christ.  (Re Gateway to Heaven )

                                            ~       ~       ~       ~       ~       ~

In the early hours of Aug. 1 (i.e. June 19 in lunar calendar), I prayed to Quan Yin and thanked her for her presence in my life and for all of humanity; I sent love to my mother, the relatives that had moved on, and sent love to all who had loved and supported me; I sent love to all who might have conflicts with me, and welcome those that were coming into my life.  I had to go somewhere in the morning, and prayed for everything to go smoothly.  And it did.  Thank you.

In the late afternoon, I lit a white candle and talked to Quan Yin affirming my intention to be of service.  

Thank you Quan Yin and all the Enlightened Ones for your love and compassion for humanity.

With Gratitude,
Q of D
      


No comments:

Post a Comment