Thursday, August 23, 2012

Feeling okay in all situations is a big step in life

Greetings!

One night years ago, I decided to stay home instead of going to a gathering as originally planned.  There was no particular reason for this change of plan.  I simply changed my mind, and wanted to stay home.   It turned out I learned a big lesson in life that day.

I stayed in the bedroom to read a book.  At one point, I heard my husband and our son talking in the living room.  I was glad that they were having a conversation.  Since the restaurant was sold, my husband was feeling down.  He felt he had failed, and expressed his worry about the future.  I had encouraged our sons to take the initiative of talking to their father.  I asked them to let him know they loved him, and everything was going to be all right.

After a while, I heard my husband raised his voice, and our son raised his too.  Soon they were attacking each other with sharp and hurtful words.  When I came out to ease the situation, it got even worse.  My husband took my intervention as a challenge to his authority as a father.  Eventually, the argument was over after they exchanged some more loud and angry words.  Then they went back to their own bedrooms.

That night I wrote in my journal - Well, I will let it go.  That's over.  See if I can handle it better next time.  I slept well during the night.  I woke up to a brand new day feeling recharged and wonderful.
This arguing was not something new.  It had happened before especially during the restaurant years.  My husband was not very flexible.  He normally could only see things from his point of view.  Sometimes he did not take it well when a different opinion was voiced.  In disagreement, he often raised his voice.  When he raised his voice, our son reacted likewise.  Both of them would not take a step back.  As a mother and a wife, I naturally wanted my family to live in peace and harmony.  Whenever fights like this occurred, I felt disheartened.  It used to cause me many miserable, sleepless nights afterwards brooding over what had happened.  I wondered how we could forgive one another after saying those hurtful words.  As I had envisioned, the family lived in the aftermath of the fight for the days that followed.  Each acted cold and distant towards one another.
Therefore, I was surprised I actually had a good night sleep, and woke up feeling great!  I went about the day as usual, and the family responded accordingly.  We talked, and no one tightened his face or acted distant.  I realized I had learned a big lesson.

                        Feeling okay in all situations is a big step in life

Feeling okay in all situations is a big step towards maintain our peace, even though we may not feel that way when it happens.  I have learned from my spirit guide that it is very important to maintain our peace because the world is what we think to be.  With peace, we will not react unwisely to a situation.  If we look at every experience as a learning lesson, seeing no fault in self and others, we are not doing anything wrong.  It is not a coincidence that people come together as a family or a group.  Our relationships may seem challenging sometimes, but that is when we learn our lessons and grow.

Ever since that day, I have faced a few life dramas such as a loved one was hospitalized, and most recently we had to move twice within half a year from one state to another.  However, I never forget everything is going to be all right no matter what.  In maintaining my peace, everybody in the family seems to be taking life in stride.  We also improve on how we view one another.

Next time when drama comes up in your life, please think about what I have learned.

May peace be with you always!

Many blessings,
Q of D

No comments:

Post a Comment