Monday, November 26, 2012

A conversation on our way to a produce market

Greetings!

We drove to a produce market the other day.  It was about half an hour away.  I was happy that the road work was finally finished after so many months.  I said to my husband: "It feels good driving on the repaved road!"  He said: "Don't you remember how it was when we had to drive through miles of traffic cones and barrels?"  I smiled and did not say anything.  He continued: "Do you remember how bumpy the road was, and the noises too as we drove on this road?"  I turned to look at him. Gently, I said: "Right now, the road is smooth and nice.  I feel good seeing the newly paved road. That is all that matters.  Why would I want to remember how it was as you said?" Hearing that, he said: "Oh..... that's true."

After a pause, he suddenly seemed to realize a truth.  "It is the same with life, isn't it? It is important for us to let go, because it wouldn't do us any good if we dwell on the unpleasant things that happened in the past," he said.  "Well said!" I said with a big smile.

Like my husband, we all have our moments of awakening or realization now and then. We realize a truth or a correct way of living a merrier, more peaceful life.  In other words, we may also say that, at that moment, we realize our wrong view of life.  We understand what is holding us back from living a happier life.  However, most of us fail to put what we have learned into practice consistently.  Eventually, we go back to our old way of thinking and living.  Some of us dwell on our pain, hurt, guilt, shame, sadness, and sorrow.  We hold onto them as if they are part of us.  But, they are not!   It is indeed important for us to let go of these unwholesome feelings so that we can live in peace.  

I have to admit that there are times I dwell on 'the cones, barrels, noises and how bumpy it was' on this path we called life too.  If it happens again, I know I will remember our conversation that day.  I will tell myself to stop

because it wouldn't do us any good to dwell on the unpleasant things that happened in the past.

Have a nice day!

Many blessings,
Q of D

P.S. It is also true that without experiencing 'how bumpy it was', we would not feel 'how good' the newly paved road is.  However, we should not dwell on the feeling how bad or bumpy it had been.

No comments:

Post a Comment