Tuesday, September 24, 2013

She said she was very angry at God

Greetings!

One day, a woman walked in.  There was a gloomy look on her face.  She told us she had been driving around aimlessly for she was in a gray mood.  She lived in a city about 40 minutes away.  She happened to drive past the small shopping center, and noticed there was a holistic store.  She decided to come in.

She said she was an academic and an atheist.  She had recently found out she had cancer.  On that same day, her husband, unaware that she just got the test result from her doctor, asked for a divorce.  She said: "All my life, I live a healthy life style.  I don't drink or smoke.  I eat healthy food.  I exercise regularly.  I have been practicing yoga and meditation for years.  Of all the people, how can I be the one who gets cancer?"

"I am very, very angry at God right now!" she said adamantly.

My friends tried to comfort her and help her.  They talked to her about looking at life from a different perspective.  Overwhelmed by the sudden turbulent turn of her life, she had reacted with anger to mask her pain and fear.  Mentally, she was not in a state to take in what others said.  I looked at her with lots of compassion.  I did not say anything that day.

She left when the gathering was over.  I knew she might not come again.  However, the purpose of her walking in was served.  Her story was truthfully heard as all of us listened with love and compassion.  Here, among people outside of her social group, she was able to express and release some of her unwholesome emotions such as anger, fear, and pain.  She said she was very angry at God.  She might not realize that, as she desperately sought answers about Life, she had in truth set the intention to know God.

I watched as she walked out of the door.  I knew she was going to be all right.  The challenge in our life might seem dreadful at times, but it was in darkness we sought light.  As she sought, she would find.  Her light within, just as our lights within, would guide her through.

Take care.  Fall (autumn) is here.  Remember to appreciate the beauty of nature.

Love and peace,
Q of D

No comments:

Post a Comment