Wednesday, September 4, 2013

What is my life purpose?

Greetings!

Recently I participated in a small gathering.  Quite a few people expressed their desire to know what their life purposes were.  It reminded me of a short conversation between an abbot and a monk in a Chinese movie which I watched online a while back.

The abbot said to the monk that he should go and explore the world.  The monk did not want to go.  He knew nothing about life outside of the temple, and he regarded himself small or very insignificant.

"I am only a simply monk.  All I know is how to cook," the monk said.

"Life requires many different experiences.  Can you tell me which is more useful, a piece of gold or mud?"  the abbot asked.

"The piece of gold is," the monk replied.

"What if I then give you a seed.  Which is more useful, gold or mud?" the abbot asked. "Every one has a purpose.  Don't undervalue yourself," the abbot said.

Let's think about what the abbot said.

While we wonder what our life purposes are, it may help if we live each day knowing that we are radiant spiritual beings of love.  We are not small, and we can make a difference now by living in the essence of who we are.

Many blessings,
Q of D

No comments:

Post a Comment